Monday, September 27, 2010

The IMF

Reported in the Guardian today: Although the IMF saw no evidence of a double-dip recession, it stressed that it would take time for voters to feel the impact. "Households are likely to remain thriftier than before the crisis but will be in a position to gradually raise their consumption as labour markets recover."

I know the economics of infinite growth have been ridiculed over again. I know we all know the ironies of glamourising consumption now that we know about climate change science. Its not this that I want to harp on about here. When you read the above it just makes you wonder if we all get to an age where seeing the comedy of your ways becomes an impossibility. Maybe reflection is genetically impossible past the age of 40. Maybe our strategic self gives up re-invention and just tells us to pile on ahead as we were. I don't know who the IMF is but I know how often their economic forecasts are published. I don't know which economic religion they evangelise but I suspect it is not one I agree with. You create a brand, people sign up then you keep giving them the reinforcement that they crave. Afterall who wants to believe the opposite: after the crisis the economy will continue to improve as households carry on learning how to consume less and come down from their materialistic highs.

This post is about my incredulity at reading a summary of a report from an organisation with nothing about why I should care what this organisation says.

No comments:

Glass is half full?

Even a stopped watch is right twice a day.
www.flickr.com