Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Ultimate in Project Management

I am on a management course at work, I am managing loads of project deliverable-s, and writing many proposals...but all this is superficial compared to the project of turning a house into a home. At work the meaning of milestones, tasks and sub-tasks, budgeting and delivering all have some resonance but hardly feature when compared to turning an old Georgian build into something more modern (perhaps?) Architecture effects us in complex ways, I know what I like but visualising what would work at number 42 is just about the most difficult task I have known. I've been here two months now and I am basically paralysed by the enormity of the effort. Where to start, how to deal with the unknowns, which bits to do myself, how to get help, budgeting, scale, scope - oh my word!

But all the books say wait a year, build up ideas and then off you go; and it will be enjoyable. I certainly think I should wait because I have had loads of convincing ideas that I known think of as stupid. The main downside though, like relationships, homes have the unavoidable side-effect of making you think long term - never a nice feeling. What will I like in 5, 10, 30 years? Indeed! One thing is for certain, I cannot believe I am mature and rich enough to actually own enough space that I could, if I chose to indulge, have my own table tennis table!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is how success should be measured for sure!! I am working on my table. Mig

Glass is half full?

Even a stopped watch is right twice a day.
www.flickr.com